LABOR DAY PARADE
In 2014, for the first time since the Parade was revived in 1986, the event will be held NOT on Labor Day itself but on the preceding Friday. The reason is that this year we have the unique opportunity to share the Parade with at least ten of the highly skilled marching bands participating in this year's Drum Corps International competition. We will post details on this spectacular event here as they become available.
Plan to attend this year's Labor Day Parade, starting at 5:30 pm on August 29.
Affiliates of the Council are encouraged to participate in the planning process by sending representatives to planning meetings. 2014 parade planning meeting dates will be listed here.
Key aspects of the parade's planning and execution include:
- parade planning meetings involving delegates from Labor Council affiliates and other groups participating in the parade
- developing the actual parade formation including the sequencing of divisions and units within divisions
- distributing parade posters and other publicity materials
- publicizing the parade route
- ordering official parade t-shirts
- recruiting and orienting parade Marshals
- communicating parade information to affiliates and their members