OUR COMMUNITY OF WORKERS WORKBOOK
This workbook supplements Our Community of Workers Coloring Book and contains work-related exercises for students from grades 3 - 8.
These exercises help young people develop word skills, language skills and spelling skills and focus students’ attention on aspects of the world of work.
The exercises are designed around and refer to the specific work depicted in the coloring book. (See List of Illustrations)
List of Workbook exercises:
- Work Games: answering questions and puzzles about work, workers, and tools
- Work Words: finding names of occupations
- Work Safety: matching specific jobs to specific safety gear
- Work Exercise: identifying the occupation titles and roles of workers in schools
- Work Names: defining occupations identified in common last names
- Work Exercise: identifyingconnections among jobs
- Work Exercise: working alone and teamwork
- Work Exercise: talking to workers about their jobs
Download the Workbook — student version »
Download the Workbook — teacher version, with answers and notes to teachers »
The idea for this workbook grew from a 1995 conference on "Teaching Work," sponsored by the Rochester Labor Council. The exercises were developed by a team that included Rochester teachers Mary Kearney (Monroe Middle School) and Thelma Uter (School 25 Kindergarten), artist/photographer Marilyn Anderson, and labor historian Jon Garlock.